Border crossing points are classified as follows:
according to their status:
- INTERNATIONAL for crossing the state border by persons and means of transport belonging to any state
- INTERSTATE for crossing the state border by persons and means of transport from the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine/Romania.
- LOCAL (are located only on the Moldova-Ukraine border sector) for crossing the state border by Republic of Moldova and Ukraine citizens permanently residing in border administrative districts on the basis of internal passports (identity card) or on the basis of passports for exit the country and crossing the state border with own means of transport with a carrying capacity not exceeding 3.5 t.
according to their type:
- ROAD intended for crossing the state border by car.
- RAILWAY intended for crossing the state border by train (rail, passengers, cargo traffic).
- „RIVER intended for crossing the Moldova-Ukraine state border by river transport (passengers’ traffic by boat, jetty).
- „AIR” intended for crossing the state border by aircrafts (passengers and cargo traffic).
- „PORT” intended for crossing the state border by boat (passengers and cargo traffic).
In the Republic of Moldova there are 4 international airports open to international traffic: “Chisinau - Airport”, “Balti – Airport”, “Cahul – Airport”, “Marculesti – Airport”. Only the Chisinau International Airport operates with passengers and cargo”permanent routes. The other airports operate with charter routes.
The Giurgiulesti Port is also open to international cargo and passengers’ traffic.